Thursday, July 3, 2008

Family Photo Restoration

This photo was taken in 1988 in the back yard of my then home in Jacksonville, Florida. Its my brother, mother and two sisters and that's my Dog Barney laying on the ground. Unfortunately we were all together because my grandmother had passed away. This is an important picture to me, it has many items that I love, my family, my pet, and it was taken in the backyard of my first home.

I thought it would be nice to restore this photo back to some of its original glory. It was a dark photo to begin with, the original paper that it was developed on was not very good. It was also badly faded and full of many dust and scratches.

I scanned it using my Epson V500, and work on it with Adobe Photoshop CS3, including camera raw and the Nik Viveza plug in. I was able to lighten it up great deal and re saturate some of the original colors. I was also able to bring my dog Barney out of the shawdows a bit and you can now see that him lying on the ground.

The original photo size was 3.5 x 5 inches. I scanned it to be 4x6 in size and then printed it on premium photo glossy paper using my Epson R2400 printer. I now have a newer and better version to enjoy for many years to come. The original negative could of come in handy for this, I am going to continue looking around for it.

Enjoy the before and after versions.