Wednesday, March 25, 2009

HDR with my Nikon D80

I decided to get out this morning and setup up a shot that I could edit in photoshop cs4 using HDR(high dynamic range). The theory behind this is take photos with multiple exposures and combine them into one shot resulting in more detail in the image. You have to use the bracketing option on your camera, the D80 is limited to three exposures. I have read that you really need to have at least 5 different exposures for this to work properly.


So I turned on my pool waterfall and setup my orange and blue Adirondack chairs on the deck. I took the 3 different expose shots. I loaded them into bridge and them use the merge to HDR option to take them into photoshop. I have uploaded one of the badly exposed shots and the combined shot of the 3 exposures. The results are below. I think it creates a very interesting effect with an artistic flair. I only used photoshop cs4 for this but am planning to download the trial version of photomatix and see what results I get.